>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 07/07/04 2:44 PM >>>
Monthly Review, Feb. 2001
The Nader Campaign and the Future
of U.S. Left Electoral Politics
by The Editors
In our view, the Nader campaign was the electoral side of the mass
organizing that produced the extraordinary demonstrations in Seattle in
1999 and in Washington, DC, and at the two national political
conventions in 2000.

More than electoral, I'd say. Nader maintained the largest resource center in Seattle during the WTO protests, including computer stations for press and organizers, the largest array of pamphlets, brochures, buttons, stickers, posters, books, etc. He conducted dailing press briefings and end-of-day recaps for the press. His organizations were evident everywhere -- in the Fair Trade office, which had a direct link to Nader's headquarters, and in the Independent Media Center. His organizations were the major resource providers for the activists. No doubt about it.

The easy thing to forget about Nader is that electoral politics and
the Green Party are just two of the many prongs of his civic thrust.

Dan Scanlan