the reason why the income number is easier than the wealth number, of
course, is that if you had all the world's wealth, what would you buy with
it?  "In a very real sense" ( this phrase [c] Alan Bennett), the world's
wealth can probably only be measured in hours of equivalent socially
necessary average labour time, because that's what you'd command if you
owned all the other stuff.

The global money supply question is also very difficult indeed; my
ex-colleague Peter Warburton used to collect decent money for a now-defunct
brokerage by guesstimating a "Global Hard Money Equivalent" figure, but this
was about five years ago and I haven't kept in touch with him.  The
differential between the cash and PPP numbers Doug quotes below would
probably indicate to a better Keynesian economist than myself something
about the relative tightness/looseness of the GHME money supply, but I'm too
frazzled to work it out right now.

The answer to Charles' fundamental question is of course yes; if you're on
$1,000 per year you're doing much better than the official poverty levels,
and there's enough production going on in the world to give everybody that
much.

cheers

dd