Carrol Cox wrote:

I don't think estimates of "total wealth" tell one much. What counts for
your purposes is the flow of material goods and services available at any
given moment. Or perhaps the productive capacity if everyone were employed,
but I doubt anyone could make even a wild estimate of that.

I'm not sure I understand your points, but estimating the value of (global) aggregate wealth or what Marx called (global) "social capital" shouldn't be a challenge to make us feel nihilistic. Next I'll make a "wild estimate" of the value of world's capital. Well-informed people could correct it or refine it further.

Today, with access to markets, accumulated wealth is capital in some phase
of the canonical cycle (M-C... P... C'-M').  Sure there's some wealth
already at the brink of being consumed, but neglect that.  So, for our
purpose, global wealth = global capital.

Using Doug's figures, last year, global capital generated a *gross* income
of USD 7,867.94 per capita.  Since global population is, say, 6.3 billion,
then we're talking about a gross income of 50 trillion USD, plus or minus
change.  That and a few other pieces of information (under some roughly
plausible assumptions) should suffice to make an estimate.  We're just
trying to price an (aggregate) asset.

How much of this gross income would be required for the "simple
reproduction" of the economy?  In other words, how much is it *net* global
income, income that we could dissipate without jeopardizing the ability of
global capital to generate the same net income every future year?  Deduct
depreciation and also the fraction of consumption that just replenishes the
labor force at its current skill level.  So, there's no labor force growth,
no accumulation of "human capital," and no addition to the capital stock.

Assume there's no uncertainty or sustainability issues, so we're certain
that global capital will re-generate the same net income forever.  Hence,
risk = 0.  In other words, we are assuming "perfect foresight," "rational
expectations," whatever.  (Risk would lower the estimate a bit.  But note
that, after a few years, sustainability doesn't really matter, because we're
going to discount net income and what comes in the far future will be worth
little in terms of present value.  So I'm making these assumptions to
simplify matters only.  For instance, if we know or suspect that the world
will end by 2050, the calculation would only get more complicated, but the
result would not be that different.)

I cannot make an educated guess about net global income, so I'll just say
it's 30 trillion USD.  Global capital can be now treated as an annuity,
which is very convenient because its present value formula is net income
flow/r.  To calculate the present value, we discount net income using its
opportunity cost.  And what would that be?  The value of the next best
alternative to dissipating the net global income back into the universe.
Say, what we people are actually doing right now, using current net income
to expand future income.  How?  By adding to current consumption (to expand
the labor force and to expand its skill) and by adding to the stock of
global capital.

Say, the labor force will grow at 4% per year in the future and per-capita
income at 1%.  Then, the next best alternative is expanding global net
income at a rate of 5% per year.  This growth rate is assumed constant
(since there's no risk, no volatility).  So that's the global discount rate
we should use to price our annuity.  Thus, the discounted present value of
global capital is:

K = 30 trillion USD/0.05 = 600 trillion USD

That's close to 100 thousand USD per person.  Very roughly.

Julio

De todo para la Mujer Latina http://latino.msn.com/mujer/