Galapagos (who proves that no man is an island) writes:

> thanks for your reply.

it's a pleasure.

> Finally, I have understood that both neo Keynesians and new
> Keynesians have a kind of common roots in the neoclassical synthesis.
>  Could they be considered a kind of evolution of the
> neoclassical synthesis ?

it's not a Darwinian-style evolution. There are two main forces at work in the evolution of neoclassical economics and varieties of economics associated with it. The first is the need to force all theory into a micro-economic optimization framework, with equal exchange between individuals being the dominant  vision, though game theory can allow some flexibility here. More generally, the use of math is rewarded, while non-mathematical approaches are punished. This encourages all sorts of Chicago-school type inanity (such as Robert Lucas or Robert Barro). The second, especially for macroeconomics, is the real world of business fluctuations, inflation, etc., a lot of which don't fit into the neoclassical orthodoxy.

> I knew that Mankiw is associated with the new Keynesians. Who could be
> associated with the neo Keynesians ?

James Tobin and Franco Modigliani.

> P.S.  I saw your web site. There is a lot of interesting stuff !!!
thanks. Comments are always welcome, even for stuff that's already been published.

jim devine