CC writes: >I would prefer to speak of different sectors of one working class in formation, since most of those "yuppies" would be -- or since the 2000 crash are already -- in great trouble if their paychecks cease for a few months.<

especially if the housing bubble pops...

> And those "culture wars" need, eventually, to be won _inside_ the working class. AND that will be rather difficult to do so long as a large number of leftists remain tied to the DP.<

This suggests that, for clarity's sake, future discussions of the DP and ABB should make it clear whether we're talking about

(1) working within the DP; or

(2) voting for Kerry.

as for me, I agree that working within the DP is absolutely the wrong way to go. What we need is an anti-war movement and other anti-establishmentarian movements. As for issue #2, voting is a very personal decision -- and very powerless.

A lot of people here in California will be follow Molly Ivins' 2000 advice and will be voting for Nader (or Leonard Peltier) precisely _because_ it will have no effect on the actual election. It's a mystery to me why all those "yuppies" in California are so adamantly anti-Nader!

Jim Devine