Let's see, in the past 8 years, we have had tax reductions, two wars, and huge increasing budget deficits. Who among you is going to say with a straight face we have not had a huge fiscal stimulus? The stimulus worked great for 6 and 1/2 years until we all realized the stimulus had gone into building homes for people who can't afford them. So as we deal with the hangover of the last stimulus and stumble toward rationality, Nobel winner Paul Krugman is arguing that the solution to our difficulties is a bigger fiscal stimulus? The problem with Bushonomics was that we did not have enough tax reductions, wars and budget deficits? You all realize this is insane, don't you?

> David Shemano

---

Shamano, your email software is all fucked up. When I hit reply, the right margin went off into the stratosphere. Ordinarily, I don't reply to malformed messages, but I did think it was worth answering your libertarian nonsense so I reformatted it above.

To get straight to the point (and I might even work this into a book on FDR), the American economy was in an expansionary phase up until the 1970s even if it was faced by temporary dislocations like the Great Depression.

Auto, steel, armaments, etc. were all growth industries. Today there is nothing that has replaced them. There has been a desperate search since the 1970s to inflate (not in a fiscal sense) the American economy but nothing has been able to provide the kind of job growth that the smokestack industries once did except for high technology but that has evaporated as well.

That is the main reason there have been bubbles after bubbles in recent decades. Capitalism might have experienced a greater shock in 1929 than it has today in terms of GDP reduction, unemployment, etc. but it faces much worse long-term prospects today. That is a contradiction that even many Marxists have failed to grasp.

Libertarian panglosses like yourself of course are living in your own bubble, so I assume that this will be lost on you.