Gar Lipow wrote: > I seem to remember at the time that Jarvis and Gann were backed by > large landlords. Prop 13 was specifically written to allow > reassessment at sale of property. Large landlords tended at the time > to hold on to their property while homeowners sold theirs when they > moved. So it was an immediate cut, plus a huge long term shift of > taxes (as a percent of value) from commercial property owners to > people who owned their own homes.
I don't remember if this is true or not. But I do know that at the time, my landlord got a tax cut. As a renter, I did not. Luckily for me, his Sikh religion pushed him to lower our rent to share the benefits. Later, the City of Berkeley passed a law making landlords pass the Jarvis-Gann benefits to tenants, so I got another rent-cut. -- Jim Devine / "If heart-aches were commercials, we'd all be on TV." -- John Prine _______________________________________________ pen-l mailing list [email protected] https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l
