Greetings Economists,
On May 4, 2009, at 8:24 AM, Jim Devine wrote:

in addition, rising house prices and assiduous property assessors
(trying to raise revenue for the financially-strapped state and local
governments) led to soaring tax assessments, which squeezed a lot of
home-owners whose incomes were not rising as quickly (e.g.,
pensioners). This helped form a largely suburban base for the "tax
revolt," which was exploited to the max by demagogues such as Howard
Jarvis.

Doyle;
This is the point given to me by otherwise left leaning working class people I know. They needed relief from higher and higher taxes on their home. I figured that was shooting themselves in the foot, but they wouldn't listen to that. I suspect that was the potent 'anti- tax' argument more that keyed to a budget surplus that could be re- distributed to frightened home owners.
Doyle
_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l

Reply via email to