>> Dude, if a shop has a bunch of old, overweight people in it -- like me
>> -- the insuror is going to charge premiums that defray expected costs.
>
>> You are right, but a lot of that also has to do with discrimination by
> insurance cos against "pre-existing conditions" and such. I think the
> bill in the Senate has provisions to ban such things, so at least
> partly the costs should be more evenly spread out in future.
> -raghu.

For a firm with an existing policy and high premiums,
they are in danger of being taxed, regardless of the incomes
of their employees.  I can't imagine what help there would be
for them in the bill.

There is no preexisting condition issue for a place that already has group
insurance.  If my decrepit self takes a job in a place
with group insurance, I will get insurance, but there is nothing as far as
I know to stop the insuror from jacking up premiums for everybody in
subsequent years to take account of my impact on expected costs.

Regulation of pricing applies to the new plans in the exchange.  I don't know
if there is any application to existing plans -- I doubt it.  The only likely
impact is the effect of the new "competition" -- yuk yuk.
_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l

Reply via email to