On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Max Sawicky <[email protected]> wrote:
> For a firm with an existing policy and high premiums,
> they are in danger of being taxed, regardless of the incomes
> of their employees.  I can't imagine what help there would be
> for them in the bill.
>
> There is no preexisting condition issue for a place that already has group
> insurance.  If my decrepit self takes a job in a place
> with group insurance, I will get insurance, but there is nothing as far as
> I know to stop the insuror from jacking up premiums for everybody in
> subsequent years to take account of my impact on expected costs.


Here's what the House summary has to say about this: "It will end
increases in premiums or denials of care based on pre-existing
conditions, race, or gender, and strictly limit age rating."
http://edlabor.house.gov/blog/2009/10/affordable-health-care.shtml

I think it allows age-based discrimination in premiums but caps it at
at most twice the premium of younger customers or something like that.
I am not sure what it means for a particular small workplace with a
large percentage of older workers.

In any case, surely this is not related to the issue of taxing
high-end executive health plans. But I think we are largely in
agreement on the taxation issue..
-raghu.



-- 
milli-helen : The amount of beauty required to launch one ship.
_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l

Reply via email to