I know someone who is on the Board of Directors of a Community Development
organization in what is officially the worst part of Detroit (it is a
specific zip code which I cannot recall at the moment) and she claims that
we need a new term to describe the place.  She thinks the most appropriate
term is the "4th world".

 

I have been pondering this idea for some time and it may be the most
appropriate term we have for the  deindustrialized, deserted, bitterly
impoverished, burned out, anomic (in the Durkheimian sense)  cities of the
1st world (of which Detroit may be the worse but it is certainly not alone).


 

BTW, I would wager that the Chrysler 200 is probably neither designed nor
made in Detroit.  Probably (re)designed in Italy and built in Canada or
Mexico.  Moreover, I can't understand why anyone would tout "built in
Detroit" because in the automotive world, with very few, exceptions, Detroit
has, since the 70s,  been synonymous with poorly engineered, low quality
products. 

 

CHAD

 

From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Max Sawicky
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:17 PM
To: Progressive Economics
Subject: Re: [Pen-l] Imported from Detroit

 

8 mile was actually pretty good, and I'm no rap aficionado.

And in light of the misogyny, Eminem should get some points for serious
anti-racist and anti-classist mojo.



On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 2:36 PM, Louis Proyect <[email protected]> wrote:

One of the most widely-discussed commercials that premiered during
the Super Bowl this year was for the Chrysler 200. Narrated by
Eminem, the misogynist white rapper from Detroit, it featured the
slogan "Imported from Detroit".

 

_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l

Reply via email to