Statement of Chairperson Benno Schmidt of The City University of New 
York Board of Trustees
May 6, 2011 | The University

“I believe the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees needs to 
reconsider the Board’s decision to table the motion to approve the award 
of an honorary degree to Tony Kushner.  I would not ordinarily ask for 
reconsideration of a decision so recently taken.  But when the board has 
made a mistake of principle, and not merely of policy, review is 
appropriate and, indeed, mandatory.

“Freedom of thought and expression is the bedrock of any university 
worthy of the name.  If it were appropriate for us to take politics into 
account in deciding whether to approve an honorary degree, I might agree 
with Trustee Wiesenfeld, whose political views on the matters in 
controversy are not far distant from my own.  But it is not right for 
the Board to consider politics in connection with the award of honorary 
degrees except in extreme cases not presented by the facts here.  The 
proposed honorary degree for Mr. Kushner would recognize him for his 
extraordinary talent and contribution to the American theater.  Like 
other honorary degrees, it is not intended to reflect approval or 
disapproval for political views not relevant to the field for which the 
recipient is being honored.  Any other view is impractical as well as 
wrong in principle.  Would we want it thought that we approve of the 
politics of everyone who receives a CUNY honorary degree?  Certainly I 
have moved the approval of honorary degrees for persons with whose 
opinions I differ.

“In addition, I am concerned about the procedural unfairness of our 
action.  The objection arose at the eleventh hour without any 
opportunity for research and preparation necessary for the presentation 
of a full and balanced appraisal.  Accordingly, the Chancellor and I 
agree that reconsideration of the motion to table the honorary degree 
for Mr. Kushner is not only the right thing to do, but is our obligation.

“I will ask the Secretary of the Board to convene an Executive Committee 
meeting to reconsider this matter.”
_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l

Reply via email to