On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Jim Devine <[email protected]> wrote:
> raghu wrote:
>> What about that modern version of Robinson Crusoe, the famous article
>> about a market system spontaneously evolving in a POW camp, and where
>> indeed barter is an earlier stage to the eventual currency-based
>> market system? Do you know of any good critiques of this paper:
>
> Further, and perhaps more importantly, they were
> all captured separately (and if they were captured in groups they were
> separated by their captors) and so had no shared society beyond the
> military in general. That made reciprocity and redistribution hard to
> organize, so that barter is the "natural" result. Then, of course, for
> any regular exchange to occur, barter had to be replaced with the use
> of money (cigarettes).

I think this is exactly what the paper is trying to argue and I don't
buy it at all. Why should barter be the "natural" outcome when a bunch
of strangers are brought together?




> I haven't seen any critiques at all. But if I remember correctly, like
> Robinson Crusoe himself all the folks in the POW camp had participated
> in a market economy (specifically, capitalism) and thus brought their
> attitudes with them.

This is, I think is by far the most important factor in that study. I
haven't seen any studies showing something similar happening at
Japanese PoW camps.
-raghu.
_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l

Reply via email to