me:
>> Further, and perhaps more importantly, they were
>> all captured separately (and if they were captured in groups they were
>> separated by their captors) and so had no shared society beyond the
>> military in general. That made reciprocity and redistribution hard to
>> organize, so that barter is the "natural" result. Then, of course, for
>> any regular exchange to occur, barter had to be replaced with the use
>> of money (cigarettes).

raghu:
> I think this is exactly what the paper is trying to argue and I don't
> buy it at all. Why should barter be the "natural" outcome when a bunch
> of strangers are brought together?

I put the word "natural" in quotes deliberately. I don't think that
one-on-one exchanges and markets arise full-grown from the head of
Nature but are instead created by people.

I don't think the article was arguing that the use of money replaced
reciprocity. Orthodox economists don't pay attention to non-market
connections between people. But I'll have to read the article again;
it's been almost 40 years since I read it the first time.
-- 
Jim Devine / "In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to
be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But
in poetry, it's the exact opposite." -- Paul Dirac
_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l

Reply via email to