I don't know what the SCOTUS will decide about Romney/Obamacare, but I
guess that (whatever it does) it will make a narrow decision with
little precedent-setting power. Scalito may thunder against the
individual mandate and ask stupid questions, but they do that because
they can. There's no appeals court to slap them down if they say or do
stupid things. In fact, they can and will be awarded by right-wingers
who will pay them exorbitant fees for public speaking, reinforcing
their behavior and encouraging its persistence.

Anyway, if the SCOTUS makes a broad decision with a lot of
precedent-setting power, i.e., knocking down the whole idea of a
individual mandate, wouldn't that legally rule out the possibility of
conscription in the future? What is the draft but an example of the
government telling selected individuals that they must "eat broccoli,"
i.e., must take one specific type of job (meeting interesting people
and killing them). Taken a little further (and I'm no legal expert),
ending the individual mandate might ban the payment of taxes.

BTW, I heard on the news that the Koch brothers want to have direct
control over the money-libertarian Cato Institute. From an M-L
perspective, what's wrong with that? after all, they paid for it, why
shouldn't they own it?
-- 
Jim Devine / "In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to
be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But
in poetry, it's the exact opposite." -- Paul Dirac
_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l

Reply via email to