Jim Devine writes:

"Anyway, if the SCOTUS makes a broad decision with a lot of precedent-setting 
power, i.e., knocking down the whole idea of a individual mandate, wouldn't 
that legally rule out the possibility of conscription in the future? What is 
the draft but an example of the government telling selected individuals that 
they must "eat broccoli,"
i.e., must take one specific type of job (meeting interesting people and 
killing them). Taken a little further (and I'm no legal expert), ending the 
individual mandate might ban the payment of taxes."

I always treat what you say seriously because I have no sense that you are an 
ironic person, so I am assuming you are asking serious questions.  But instead 
of answering your question, I would instead ask you -- in reaching answers to 
your questions, do you care at all what the Constitution actually says?  Do you 
care how the Constitution is structured?  That it is possible that the text and 
structure may logically compel a result that does not coincide with your policy 
preference, or even a result that may seem formalistic and not make much sense 
to anyone?  

"BTW, I heard on the news that the Koch brothers want to have direct control 
over the money-libertarian Cato Institute. From an M-L perspective, what's 
wrong with that? after all, they paid for it, why shouldn't they own it?"

One of the issues is precisely that the Koch brothers, in fact, give very 
little money to Cato.  I think the Cato story is a great example of the 
difference between the temperament of the Left and the Right -- most on the 
libertarian right are truly embarrassed by the whole episode, precisely because 
it makes them look like sectarian leftists fighting with each other over 
trivialities.  I get no sense that those on the left have any real 
embarrassment  concerning their internal squabbles.

David Shemano
_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l

Reply via email to