(As a sort of personal sidebar to this terrifying article, it refers 
extensively to the nuclear weapons plant in Kansas City. That brings 
back memories. In late 1978 when I was in Kansas City trying to make the 
"turn toward industry", I took night classes in lathe and milling 
machines at a vocational high school. It is hard to believe at this 
point but I graduated both classes and was even a good enough student to 
persuade my milling machine teacher that I would have been a good 
addition to the workforce at Bendix where the weapons were being built. 
I probably never would have gotten past the security check.)

NY Times, Sept. 22 2014
U.S. Ramping Up Major Renewal in Nuclear Arms
By WILLIAM J. BROAD and DAVID E. SANGER

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A sprawling new plant here in a former soybean field 
makes the mechanical guts of America’s atomic warheads. Bigger than the 
Pentagon, full of futuristic gear and thousands of workers, the plant, 
dedicated last month, modernizes the aging weapons that the United 
States can fire from missiles, bombers and submarines.

It is part of a nationwide wave of atomic revitalization that includes 
plans for a new generation of weapon carriers. A recent federal study 
put the collective price tag, over the next three decades, at up to a 
trillion dollars.

This expansion comes under a president who campaigned for “a 
nuclear-free world” and made disarmament a main goal of American defense 
policy. The original idea was that modest rebuilding of the nation’s 
crumbling nuclear complex would speed arms refurbishment, raising 
confidence in the arsenal’s reliability and paving the way for new 
treaties that would significantly cut the number of warheads.

Instead, because of political deals and geopolitical crises, the Obama 
administration is engaging in extensive atomic rebuilding while getting 
only modest arms reductions in return.

Supporters of arms control, as well as some of President Obama’s closest 
advisers, say their hopes for the president’s vision have turned to 
baffled disappointment as the modernization of nuclear capabilities has 
become an end unto itself.

“A lot of it is hard to explain,” said Sam Nunn, the former senator 
whose writings on nuclear disarmament deeply influenced Mr. Obama. “The 
president’s vision was a significant change in direction. But the 
process has preserved the status quo.”

With Russia on the warpath, China pressing its own territorial claims 
and Pakistan expanding its arsenal, the overall chances for Mr. Obama’s 
legacy of disarmament look increasingly dim, analysts say. Congress has 
expressed less interest in atomic reductions than looking tough in 
Washington’s escalating confrontation with Moscow.

“The most fundamental game changer is Putin’s invasion of Ukraine,” said 
Gary Samore, Mr. Obama’s top nuclear adviser in his first term and now a 
scholar at Harvard. “That has made any measure to reduce the stockpile 
unilaterally politically impossible.”

That suits hawks just fine. They see the investments as putting the 
United States in a stronger position if a new arms race breaks out. In 
fact, the renovated plants that Mr. Obama has approved for a smaller 
force of more precise, reliable weapons could, under a different 
president, let the arsenal expand rapidly.

Arms controllers say the White House has made some progress toward Mr. 
Obama’s broader agenda. Mr. Nunn credits the president with improving 
nuclear security around the globe, persuading other leaders to sweep up 
loose nuclear materials that terrorists could seize.

In the end, however, budget realities may do more than nuclear 
philosophies to curb the atomic upgrades. “There isn’t enough money,” 
said Jeffrey Lewis, of the Monterey Institute of International Studies, 
an expert on the modernization effort. “You’re going to get a train wreck.”

While the Kansas City plant is considered a success — it opened ahead of 
schedule and under budget — other planned renovations are mired in 
delays and cost overruns. Even so, Congress can fight hard for projects 
that represent big-ticket items in important districts.

Skeptics say that the arsenal is already dependable and that the costly 
overhauls are aimed less at arms control than at seeking votes and 
attracting top talent, people who might otherwise gravitate to other fields.

But the Obama administration insists that the improvements to the 
nuclear arsenal are vital to making it smaller, more flexible and better 
able to fulfill Mr. Obama’s original vision.

Daniel B. Poneman, the departing deputy secretary of energy, whose 
department runs the complex, said, “The whole design of the 
modernization enables us to make reductions.”

A Farewell to Arms

In the fall of 2008, as Barack Obama campaigned for the presidency, a 
coalition of peace groups sued to halt work on a replacement bomb plant 
in Kansas City. They cited the prospect of a new administration that 
might, as one litigant put it, kill the project in “a few months.”

The Kansas City plant, an initiative of the Bush years, seemed like a 
good target, since Mr. Obama had declared his support for nuclear 
disarmament.

The $700 million weapons plant survived. But in April 2009, the new 
president and his Russian counterpart, Dmitri A. Medvedev, vowed to 
rapidly complete an arms treaty called New Start, and committed their 
nations “to achieving a nuclear-free world.”

Five days later, Mr. Obama spoke in Prague to a cheering throng, saying 
the United States had a moral responsibility to seek the “security of a 
world without nuclear weapons.”

“I’m not naïve,” he added. “This goal will not be reached quickly — 
perhaps not in my lifetime. It will take patience and persistence.”

That October, the Nobel committee, citing his disarmament efforts, 
announced it would award Mr. Obama the Peace Prize.

The accord with Moscow was hammered out quickly. The countries agreed to 
cut strategic arms by roughly 30 percent — from 2,200 to 1,550 deployed 
weapons apiece — over seven years. It was a modest step. The Russian 
arsenal was already declining, and today has dropped below the agreed 
number, military experts say.

Even so, to win Senate approval of the treaty, Mr. Obama struck a deal 
with Republicans in 2010 that would set the country’s nuclear agenda for 
decades to come.

Republicans objected to the treaty unless the president agreed to an 
aggressive rehabilitation of American nuclear forces and manufacturing 
sites. Senator Jon Kyl, Republican of Arizona, led the opposition. He 
likened the bomb complex to a rundown garage — a description some in the 
administration considered accurate.

Under fire, the administration promised to add $14 billion over a decade 
for atomic renovations. Then Senator Kyl refused to conclude a deal.

Facing the possible defeat of his first major treaty, Mr. Obama and the 
floor manager for the effort, Senator John Kerry, now the secretary of 
state, set up a war room and made deals to widen Republican support. In 
late December, the five-week campaign paid off, although the 71-to-26 
vote represented the smallest margin ever for the ratification of a 
nuclear pact between Washington and Moscow.

The Democrats were unanimous in favor, their ranks including six 
senators with atomic plants in their states. Among the Republicans 
joining the Democrats were Bob Corker and Lamar Alexander, both of 
Tennessee and both strong backers of modernization. (“We’re glad to have 
the thousands of jobs,” Mr. Alexander said recently in announcing 
financing for a new plant.)

In open and classified reports to Congress, Mr. Obama laid out his 
atomic refurbishment plans, which the Congressional Budget Office now 
estimates will cost $355 billion dollars over the next decade. But that 
is just the start. The price tag will soar after 10 years as missiles, 
bombers and submarines made in the last century reach the end of their 
useful lives and replacements are built.

“That’s where all the big money is,” Ashton B. Carter, the former deputy 
secretary of defense, said last year. “By comparison, everything that 
we’re doing now is cheap.”

A Wave of Modernization

The money is flowing into a sprawling complex for making warheads that 
includes eight major plants and laboratories employing more than 40,000 
people. Its oldest elements, some dating to 1943, have long struggled 
with fires, explosions and workplace injuries. This March, a concrete 
roof collapsed in Tennessee. More recently, chunks of ceiling clattered 
down a stairwell there, and employees were told to wear hard hats.

“It’s deplorable,” Representative Chuck Fleischmann, Republican of 
Tennessee, said at an April hearing. Equipment, he added, “breaks down 
on a daily basis.”

In some ways, the challenge is similar to what Detroit’s auto industry 
faces: Does it make sense to pour money into old structures or build new 
ones that are more secure, are fully computerized and adhere to modern 
environmental standards?

And if the government chooses the latter course, how does it justify 
that investment if the president’s avowed policy is to wean the world 
off nuclear arms?

The old bomb plant in Kansas City embodies the dilemma. It was built in 
World War II to produce aircraft engines and went nuclear in 1949, 
making the mechanical and electrical parts for warheads.

But a river flooded it repeatedly, and in the past year it was gradually 
shut down. Today, visitors see tacky furniture, old machinery and floors 
caked with mud.

Its replacement, eight miles south, sits on higher ground. Its five 
buildings hold 2,700 employees — just like the old plant — but officials 
say it uses half the energy, saving about $150 million annually. 
Everything is bright and modern, from the sleek lobby and cafeteria to 
the fitness center. Clean rooms for delicate manufacturing have tighter 
dust standards than hospital operating rooms.

It is called the National Security Campus, evoking a college rather than 
a factory for weapons that can pound cities into radioactive dust.

Rick L. Lavelock, a senior plant manager, said during a tour in July 
that employees had a “very great sense of mission” in keeping the 
arsenal safe and reliable.

Their main job now is extending the life of a nearly 40-year-old 
submarine warhead called the W-76. Drawing on thousands of parts, they 
seek to make it last 60 years — three times as long as originally planned.

The warhead’s new guts, a colorful assortment of electronic and 
mechanical parts, lay alongside a shiny nose cone on a metal table 
outside an assembly hall.

The last stop on the tour was a giant storage room. Mr. Lavelock said it 
covered 60,000 square feet — bigger than a football field. Laughing, he 
likened it to the “Raiders of the Lost Ark” scene showing a vast federal 
warehouse that seemed to go on forever.

If the Kansas City plant is the crown jewel of the modernization effort, 
other projects are reminders of how many billions have yet to be spent, 
and how even facilities completed successfully can go awry.

At Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico, birthplace of the 
atomic bomb, plans for a new complex to shape plutonium fuel emerged a 
decade ago with a $660 million price tag. But antinuclear groups kept 
publicizing embarrassing details, like the discovery of a geologic fault 
under the site. The estimated cost soared to $5.8 billion, and in 2012, 
the Obama administration suspended the project.

“In the current fiscal crisis,” Charles F. McMillan, the director of Los 
Alamos, told a nuclear conference last year, building large facilities 
“may no longer be practical.”

A different problem hit the Y-12 National Security Complex in Oak Ridge, 
Tenn. A $550 million fortress was erected there to safeguard the 
nation’s main supplies of highly enriched uranium, a bomb fuel 
considered relatively easy for terrorists to make into deadly weapons.

In 2012, an 82-year-old Roman Catholic nun, Megan Rice, and two 
accomplices cut through fences, splashed blood on the stronghold and 
sprayed its walls with peace slogans. The security breach set off major 
investigations, and the nun was sentenced to almost three years in prison.

Now, the site’s woes have deepened. As Oak Ridge prepared for an even 
bigger upgrade — replacing buildings that process uranium — the price 
tag soared from $6.5 billion to $19 billion. This year, the Obama 
administration scuttled the current plan, and the lab is struggling to 
revise the blueprint.

Robert Alvarez, a policy adviser to the energy secretary during the 
Clinton administration, recently wrote in The Bulletin of the Atomic 
Scientists that Oak Ridge was the “poster child” of a dysfunctional 
nuclear complex.

Across the nation, 21 major upgrades have been approved and 36 more 
proposed, according to the Government Accountability Office. In nearly 
two dozen reports over five years, the congressional investigators have 
described the modernization push as poorly managed and financially 
unaccountable.

They recently warned — in typically understated language — that the 
managers of the atomic complex had repeatedly omitted and underestimated 
billions of dollars in costs, leaving the plan with “less funding than 
will be needed.”

The Military Deployments

The Obama administration says it sees no contradiction between 
rebuilding the nation’s atomic complex and the president’s vow to make 
the world less dependent on nuclear arms.

“While we still have weapons, the most important thing is to make sure 
they are safe, secure and reliable,” said Mr. Poneman, the deputy energy 
secretary. The improvements, he said, have reassured allies. “It’s 
important to our extended deterrent,” he said, referring to the American 
nuclear umbrella over nations in Asia and the Middle East, which has 
instilled a sense of military security and kept many from building their 
own arsenals.

The administration has told the Pentagon to plan for 12 new missile 
submarines, up to 100 new bombers and 400 land-based missiles, either 
new or refurbished. Manufacturing costs for these forces, if approved, 
will peak between 2024 and 2029, according to a recent study by Dr. 
Lewis and colleagues at the Monterey Institute.

It estimated the total cost of the nuclear enterprise over the next 
three decades at roughly $900 billion to $1.1 trillion. Policy makers, 
the report said, “are only now beginning to appreciate the full scope of 
these procurement costs.”

Nonetheless, lobbying for the new forces is heating up, with military 
officials often eager to show off dilapidated gear. In April, a “60 
Minutes” segment featured a tour of aging missile silos. Officials 
pointed out antiquated phones, broken doors, a missile damaged from 
water leaks and an old computer that relied on enormous diskettes.

The looming crackup between trillion-dollar plans and tight budgets is 
starting to get Washington’s attention. Modernization delays are 
multiplying and cost estimates are rising. Panels of experts are bluntly 
describing the current path as unacceptable.

A new generation of missiles, bombers and submarines “is unaffordable,” 
a bipartisan, independent panel commissioned by Congress and the Defense 
Department declared in July. Its 10 experts, including former Secretary 
of Defense William J. Perry, echoed other estimates in putting the cost 
at up to $1 trillion.

The overall investment, the panel said, “would likely come at the 
expense of needed improvements in conventional forces.”

In August, the White House announced it was reviewing the atomic 
spending plans in preparation for next year’s budget request to 
Congress, which will set federal spending for 2016.

“This is Obama’s legacy budget,” said a senior administration official 
who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the topic’s political 
delicacy. “It’s his last chance to make the hard choices and prioritize.”

Already, the administration has delayed plans for the Navy’s new 
submarines, the atomic certification of new bombers and a new generation 
of warheads meant to fit more than one delivery system. And debate is 
rising on whether to ax production of the air-launched cruise missile, a 
new nuclear weapon for bombers, its cost estimated at some $30 billion.

One of the most dramatic calls for reductions came from Chuck Hagel 
shortly before he became defense secretary last year. He signed a study, 
headed by retired Gen. James Cartwright, a former vice chairman of the 
Joint Chiefs of Staff, that proposed cutting the nuclear arsenal to 900 
warheads and eliminating most of the 3,500 weapons in storage. The 
nation’s military plan, the study concluded, “artificially sustains 
nuclear stockpiles that are much larger than required for deterrence today.”

In a speech in Berlin last year, the president said he would cut the 
arsenal to roughly 1,000 weapons — but only as part of a broader deal 
requiring Russian reductions. So far, the Russian president, Vladimir V. 
Putin, has shown no interest, and Mr. Obama has made clear he will not 
cut weapons unilaterally. Unless either man changes his approach, the 
president’s legacy will be one of modest nuclear cuts and a 
significantly modernized atomic complex.

“I could imagine Putin might well decide it’s in his interest to seek 
more cuts,” said Rose Gottemoeller, the undersecretary of state for arms 
control and international security, and the country’s top arms 
negotiator. “I don’t discard the notion we could do it again.”

Few of her colleagues are so optimistic. They predict that if Mr. Obama 
is to achieve the kind of vision he entered office with, he will have to 
act alone.

William J. Broad reported from Kansas City, Mo., and David E. Sanger 
from Washington.

_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l

Reply via email to