On the application of Gareth Peirce, one of the bravest civil
liberties lawyers in the land, backed by "Liberty", the civil
liberties union, the law lords in the UK have ruled the government's
indefinite detention of  9 foreigners without trial on suspicion of
terrorism is incompatible with the Human Rights Act and the European
Convention of Human Rights.

Although couched in ancient and majestic language the most
revolutionary phrases came from Lord Hoffman and they weld the best of
the British tradition to that of the best of the European. As you read
it, remember what is at stake are not the lives of  thousands, caught
up in a catastrophe, but the lives of 9 foreigners, and what Lord
Hoffman redefines as the "life of the nation", that will not be
subordinated to the politics of fear.

And remember Engels to Schmidt Oct 27 1890

"As soon as the new division of labour which creates professional
lawyeres becomes necessary, another new and independent sphere is
opened up which, for all its general dependence on production and
trade, still has also a special capacity for reacting upon these
spheres. In a modern state, the law must not only correspond to the
general economic condition and be its expression, but must also be an
internally coherent expression which does not, owing to inner
contradictions, reduce itself to nought. And in order to achieve this,
the faithful reflection of economic conditions suffers increasingly."

Lord Hoffman was also one of the three law lords who granted the
application of the eccentric Spanish judge Baltazar Garzon, against
Pinochet 6 years ago.
http://www.wsws.org/news/1998/nov1998/pin-n28.shtml

These struggles are part of the Gramscian struggle for ideological
hegemony, in Britain, in Chile, in Europe and in the world.

They will succeed.

Chris Burford London

_____

Lord Hoffman 91. What is meant by "threatening the life of the nation"? The "nation" is

a social organism, living in its territory (in this case, the United
Kingdom)

under its own form of government and subject to a system of laws which

expresses its own political and moral values. When one speaks of a
threat to

the "life" of the nation, the word life is being used in a
metaphorical sense.

The life of the nation is not coterminous with the lives of its
people. The

nation, its institutions and values, endure through generations. In
many

important respects, England is the same nation as it was at the time
of the first

Elizabeth or the Glorious Revolution. The Armada threatened to destroy
the

life of the nation, not by loss of life in battle, but by subjecting
English

institutions to the rule of Spain and the Inquisition. The same was
true of the

threat posed to the United Kingdom by Nazi Germany in the Second World

War. This country, more than any other in the world, has an unbroken
history

of living for centuries under institutions and in accordance with
values which

show a recognisable continuity.

92. This, I think, is the idea which the European Court of Human
Rights

was attempting to convey when it said (in Lawless v Ireland (No 3)
(1961) 1

EHRR 15) that it must be a "threat to the organised life of the
community of

which the State is composed", although I find this a rather dessicated

description. Nor do I find the European cases particularly helpful.
All that can

be taken from them is that the Strasbourg court allows a wide "margin
of

appreciation" to the national authorities in deciding "both on the
presence of

such an emergency and on the nature and scope of derogations necessary

avert it": Ireland v United Kingdom (1978) 2 EHRR 25, at para 207.
What

this means is that we, as a United Kingdom court, have to decide the
matter

for ourselves.

93. Perhaps it is wise for the Strasbourg court to distance itself
from these

matters. The institutions of some countries are less firmly based than
those of

others. Their communities are not equally united in their loyalty to
their values

and system of government. I think that it was reasonable to say that
terrorism

in Northern Ireland threatened the life of that part of the nation and
the

territorial integrity of the United Kingdom as a whole. In a community
riven

by sectarian passions, such a campaign of violence threatened the
fabric of

organised society. The question is whether the threat of terrorism
from

Muslim extremists similarly threatens the life of the British nation.

94. The Home Secretary has adduced evidence, both open and secret, to

show the existence of a threat of serious terrorist outrages. The
Attorney

General did not invite us to examine the secret evidence, but despite
the

widespread scepticism which has attached to intelligence assessments
since

the fiasco over Iraqi weapons of mass destruction, I am willing to
accept that

credible evidence of such plots exist. The events of 11 September 2001
in

New York and Washington and 11 March 2003 in Madrid make it entirely

likely that the threat of similar atrocities in the United Kingdom is
a real one.

95. But the question is whether such a threat is a threat to the life
of the

nation. The Attorney General's submissions and the judgment of the
Special

Immigration Appeals Commission treated a threat of serious physical
damage

and loss of life as necessarily involving a threat to the life of the
nation. But in

my opinion this shows a misunderstanding of what is meant by
"threatening

the life of the nation". Of course the government has a duty to
protect the lives

and property of its citizens. But that is a duty which it owes all the
time and

which it must discharge without destroying our constitutional
freedoms. There

may be some nations too fragile or fissiparous to withstand a serious
act of

violence. But that is not the case in the United Kingdom. When Milton
urged

the government of his day not to censor the press even in time of
civil war, he

said:

"Lords and Commons of England, consider what nation it is

whereof ye are, and whereof ye are the governours"

96. This is a nation which has been tested in adversity, which has
survived

physical destruction and catastrophic loss of life. I do not
underestimate the

ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but
they do not

threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung
in the

balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive Al-Qaeda. The
Spanish

people have not said that what happened in Madrid, hideous crime as it
was,

threatened the life of their nation. Their legendary pride would not
allow it.

Terrorist violence, serious as it is, does not threaten our
institutions of

government or our existence as a civil community.

97. For these reasons I think that the Special Immigration Appeals

Commission made an error of law and that the appeal ought to be
allowed.

Others of your Lordships who are also in favour of allowing the appeal
would

do so, not because there is no emergency threatening the life of the
nation, but

on the ground that a power of detention confined to foreigners is
irrational and

discriminatory. I would prefer not to express a view on this point. I
said that

the power of detention is at present confined to foreigners and I
would not like

to give the impression that all that was necessary was to extend the
power to

United Kingdom citizens as well. In my opinion, such a power in any
form is

not compatible with our constitution. The real threat to the life of
the nation,

in the sense of a people living in accordance with its traditional
laws and

political values, comes not from terrorism but from laws such as
these. That is

the true measure of what terrorism may achieve. It is for Parliament
to decide

whether to give the terrorists such a victory.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/16_12_04_detainees.pdf