KOTA BAHARU, July 9 -- The 24-hour Wakaf Che Yeh wholesale market, a popular haunt for tourists, was finally relocated today to its previous site a stone's throw away.

The transfer was marred by protests by disgruntled traders who were not happy with the trading lots given to them or who did not get any lots.

They calmed down after being persuaded by other traders and enforcement officers of the Kota Baharu Municipal Council (MPKB).

The transfer of the wholesale market to make way for a development project was supposed to take place end of last month but was postponed because of a delay by MPKB in completing basic amenities at the new site.

About 700 traders ran their business at the old market since 2000.

A fruit trader, Zulrafly Mahmood, 34, said he was not happy because the new lot he received was smaller than his previous one.

Another trader, Maznah Abu, 42, said there was confusion because her name and those of two other traders appeared on the same trading lot.

The public who visited the market at Wakaf Che Yeh was also unhappy and complained there was no signboard to advise people of the transfer.

Ramnah Isa, a housewife in her 30s, said the new market was a bit far from the main road unlike the old market which was located beside the road.

Meanwhile, some traders made a report to the Anti-Corruption Agency today claiming that MPKB had practised favouritism in the distribution of the trading lots.

A trader, Nordin Awang Ngah, claimed there were special trading lots reserved for "very important people".

"We want the ACA to investigate. Some traders are denied trading lots while others who do not have trading licences are given trading lots," he said, adding that complaints to MPKB had fallen on deaf ears.

The ACA declined to comment on the report received.//Bernama

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com __._,_.___


SPONSORED LINKS
Florist malaysia Malaysia hotel


YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS




__,_._,___

Kirim email ke