On Sep 21, 2009, at 5:41 AM, Chris Ridd wrote:

On 20 Sep 2009, at 18:44, Parag Kalra wrote:

I think I got what was going wrong...If I am not wrong 'bind' method uses
authentication hence credentials only while making any changes
(add/modify/delete) to ldap server.

So if I will use wrong credentials to modify ldap database then it will
surely shout...

Not quite.

All the 'operation' methods like bind(), add(), modify(), search(), etc return undef if there was a problem sending the operation to the server.

No, they will always return a Net::LDAP::Message object. If there is a local error then $res->code will be LDAP_LOCAL_ERROR

Graham.