Uri Guttman wrote:

> you should sign up for the perl-loop list (we are cc'ing it).

Yep, did that already and stopped CC'ing you and Joshua in my last
posting, because I think we all don't need to get our messages twice ;)

> i haven't checked out the other RPC modules but there are a bunch on
> cpan. possibly you could steal^Wlearn a few ideas from them. :).

I tried, but I didn't find any modules which are tied to Event. There
are solutions for preforking or multithreading servers, but these
techniques are no choice for me.

Probably I simply didn't find the right modules, although I tried hard -
CPAN is big ;) Another "world" is the POE stuff, which has a somewhat
high learning curve as well and I prefer the simple Event API over it.

Event::RPC is very small (about 1300 lines) has a simple API as well. On
the server side you write down the classes and methods you want to have
accessible from outside. On the client side you connect to the server
and write your code like having the objects instantiated locally.
Everything else is handled transparently. [A major TODO is adding
security - currently there is none!].

I created a preliminary distribution archive (almost no documentation
and test scripts yet, but fully working), so you can take a look at it
if you like:

  http://www.exit1.org/packages/Event-RPC/dist/Event-RPC-0.80.tar.gz

Start 'examples/server.pl' in one console, and 'examples/client.pl' in
another. It's nearly the stuff I wrote in my summary, just some logging
output is added.

Regards,

Joern

--