On Sat, 29 Sep 2001, Michael G Schwern wrote:

> Have you tried the Test::Builder thing yet?  I think you should be
> able to solve your forking problem like so:

Working on it

>     use Test::More tests => 10;  # or whatever.

Except this needs to printed just once in the parent _before_ any tests
are run.

>     $builder = Test::Builder->new;  # get the underlying T::B object for
>                                     # fine control.
>
>     $builder->use_numbers(0);

I was thinking that I could just do

  $builder->current_test( $some_num_greater_than_1 )

and it should work.

> So the output should look something like:
>
>     1..10
>     ok 1 - normal test
>     ok 2 - another normal test
>     ok - forked test 1 (PID 3245)
>     ok - forked test 2 (PID 3245)
>     ok - forked test 1 (PID 3246)
>     ok - forked test 2 (PID 3246)
>     ok - forked test 1 (PID 3247)
>     ok - forked test 2 (PID 3247)
>     ok 9 - last two
>     ok 10 - normal tests

I don't want to give up the numbers.  The order of testing is predictable
so that's not the problem.

Right now I'm stuck on several things.

1. I want to grab the Test::More exported stuff in the child after a fork
without printing a 1..foo header, either before (by setting an explicit
number of tests) or after (no_plan).

Here's what I _really_ want (my list of demands are thusly).

A. To be able to use Test::More's functions without ever printing a 1..foo
test header.

B. To be able to arbitrarily set the current test number.

Something like this'd be nice:

use Test::More qw(functions_only); # or qw(no_header)

That's probably all I need to get it going.

-dave

www.urth.org
We await the New Sun