On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 03:50:34PM +0200, Tels wrote:
> Nevertheless, making your data structures smaller will help, even if in
> some particulare case it doesn't reduce the heap usage directly.

Yes, I found this to be true, but on my hitlist of things that make your
perl script slow, it was number 3, with raw CPU usage as number 2, and
Ops as number 1. [ie play Ops golf, even if you think you'll be using more
CPU or more RAM with your way of doing it in less Ops. And unlike conventional
perl golf, that's sum total Ops encountered at runtime, not total Ops used]

I did a talk about optimising perl code at YAPC in Munich. I'm going to
use this as an opportunity to blatantly plug the fact that I've put it
online:

    http://www.ccl4.org/~nick/P/Fast_Enough/

because it might contain one or two ideas that people haven't thought of.
People who saw it at YAPC may not want to read it *yet*, because I've not
incorporated more bits based the several other good ideas *I* hadn't thought
of that other people told me.

Nicholas Clark
--
Even better than the real thing:        http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/