Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

[...]

[1] I've never had a need for random tests myself. The only reason I
break mine apart is to isolate testing various sub-systems, but I almost
always end up having some dependencies put into an early "00" file. I
also tend to a have a final "99" cleanup file. While I could in theory
have each file be independent, in practice it's a lot of duplicated code
and a lot of time overhead, so it's either the 00-99 or (as I sometimes
have done) one giant testing file.

Ah, then I suppose you have never considered the need to run a huge test suite in parallel on a multi-CPU box, where tests really are run at random (in relation to each other). 99 may complete before 00 has finished.

This is a big problem for the test suite of Perl itself.

David