On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Michael G Schwern <schw...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2011.10.30 2:58 AM, Adrian Howard wrote:
>> I prefer the current subtests system for a few reasons:
>>
>> * With the new system I would have to re-write TAP streams from other sources
>> to match the numbering system of the current stream. This makes more work for
>> folk who are pulling in TAP streams from other boxes/processes. If we do go
>> this
>> route you would, ideally, need to have a "standard" system for
> renumbering/counting
>> streams.
>
> No, TAP::Harness would continue to parse subtest TAP.  TAP from other tests
> could still be embedded by simple indentation.

Michael,

I haven't followed the T::B 2 work closely enough, so could I ask you
to please step back and explain the benefits of T::B 1.5 that is worth
stepping backwards in terms of capabilities?  What I mean is that we
have TAP::Harness now that processes subtest TAP and we have a T::B
now that produces subtest TAP, so why stop?

This quote from the TB 2 docs scares me a little: "Test::Builder2 is
very generic and doesn't do a lot of the work you've probably come to
expect a test framework to do. This reduction of assumptions increases
flexibility and ensures that TB2 can remain the core of Perl testing
for another decade to come."

That sounds an awful lot like second system syndrome.  And -- hey,
that's great if it works -- I mean no offense is saying that.  But
something that is *half* of a second system that loses a nice feature
of the first system seems a suboptimal outcome.

-- David