On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 5:50 PM, Michael G Schwern <schw...@pobox.com> wrote:
> It's that time again!  Time when I hammer the last few nails in the coffin of
> a version of Perl.
>
> By which I mean, the next major release of Test::More (aka Test::Builder1.5)
> will support 5.8.1 and up.  ExtUtils::MakeMaker will probably go that way,
> too.  This effectively cuts off most of CPAN from 5.8.0 and down.  This will
> happen in the next few months.
>
> Test::More might nudge its requirement a little higher depending on just how
> difficult it is to work around early threading bugs in the earlier 5.8
> releases.
>
> At this point I don't imagine this will cause too much disruption.  There
> aren't many serious 5.6 users left and whomever is left has to have already
> come up with some sort of 5.6PAN solution.
>
> Dropping 5.6 will ease maintenance and testing of these modules and make a
> greater baseline of core modules available.  However, if a company or
> organization would like to see 5.6 compatibility retained, they can contact me
> about sponsoring the extra work for continued maintenance.
>
> Thanks to Sarathy and rgs for some great and long lived releases!  It's been a
> good eight years.

I've come around your hammering lately and had this idea:

Cannot CPAN add logic to avoid downloading your new versions on older releases?

This is for EUMM and now Test::Builder.

5.6.2 still is the fastest perl around. As long as you keep making it
slower and fatter you have to come up with some kind of practical
solution.
--
Reini Urban
http://cpanel.net/   http://www.perl-compiler.org/