On 2011.11.13 8:39 AM, Reini Urban wrote:
> I've come around your hammering lately and had this idea:
>
> Cannot CPAN add logic to avoid downloading your new versions on older
> releases?

Yes, but it is non-trivial.

It would requiring creating a new index which supplies modules and versions
for every release (aka tarball and zip) instead of just the latest one.
Various folks are working on that, it is a key piece of missing information.

And then you need another index of what the minimum version of each release
is... if it's declared.

And traverse the module's dependency tree to pick the newest version that is
compatible.

And hope all dependencies are compatible.

And then you have to pray that's something like reality.

There have also been approaches which use CPAN testers data to select the last
compatible version.  Contact Dave Cantrell about that.

There is my CPANgloss.com project to provide this as a service, but it is not
operational.

> 5.6.2 still is the fastest perl around. As long as you keep making it
> slower and fatter you have to come up with some kind of practical
> solution.

If you're not completely satisfied with your free software, you get TRIPLE
your money back!

Ya know, I'll bet DOS would run pretty fast on a modern machine...

--
Life is like a sewer - what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
    - Tom Lehrer