> I think 1 is a good idea, but I have some reservations about the 2 (and
> thus 4). Is it really advantageous to switch over everyone to Test2 today?
>
> I think Test2 has major benefits for some people (it makes new things
> possible), but it also has major disadvantages for others (it breaks
> stuff); both have unknown upper bounds. And to be honest, for the vast
> majority I don't feel like it will matter; they don't need (much) more than
> Test::More.
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense to make this opt-in?
>
> Leon

The main benefits of switch as opposed to opt-in are these:

 * Only maintaining one system. Yes we still need to maintain Test::Builder
and Test2, but when combined it reduces the cognitive overhead, and the
disconnect between the 2.
 * The code to switch includes bugfixes that cannot be easily/sanely
backported to old test builder
    - Threads + Subtests
    - Forking + Subtests
    - False pass if parent finishes before child thread/process where child
then has a failure
    - Probably more
 * People will not have to be worried about something downstream switching
and thus forcing them to switch unknowingly (cause the switch happens once,
for everyone)

The problems of making it opt-in are the same problems you always get when
you maintain 2 separate but similar things. Things become desynchronized
between them. People have to write their stuff to support both, or simply
make their code die with a message telling you not to use one or the other.
If we do not combine these then we put the burden of supporting both on
everyone else. If however the next Test::Builder used Test2 then the burden
is on me and any other Test2/Test::Builder maintainer. Yes there is still
the toolchain burden of making sure stuff works on new and old
Test::Builder, but toolchain is already its own beast.

I think Test2 has major benefits for some people (it makes new things
> possible), but it also has major disadvantages for others (it breaks
> stuff); both have unknown upper bounds. And to be honest, for the vast
> majority I don't feel like it will matter; they don't need (much) more than
> Test::More.

The main disadvantage is that it "breaks stuff". I do not want to
trivialize this, it is a huge concern. And you are correct, we do not know
the upper bound. What we do know though is that cpan shows us. Currently
the breakage on cpan is very small, limited to only a handful of modules,
many of which already have pending patches, or people willing to pick them
up. And most, if not all of what breaks is people bypassing Test::Builders
public API's and mucking about directly with internals. Even in these cases
hoops have been jumped though to support as many of these bad practices as
technically possible.

I do not want to dismiss or trivialize the disadvantages, I want to be
clear on that. However I consider the advantages to have significantly more
weight here. I think the burden on cpan of supporting a split system here
is a much higher risk. If the author of Test::Moose for instance decides to
switch to Test2, then any test that consumes it switches automatically. If
there is a conflict in any of the used tools then people have breakage, and
it is not as predictable. If we switch all at once though, then a module
author deciding to switch simply needs to bump up the minimum Test::Builder
version required, anything that works on that higher version *should* be
set.

-Chad