On Wednesday, March 20, 2002, at 06:55 , Anton Tagunov wrote:
> Hello, Dan!
> Hello, Jarkko!
> Hello, Nick!
>
> I'm a bit confused with [EMAIL PROTECTED] Is that a better place
> for our conversation?  Is it alive? Has any traffic?

   [EMAIL PROTECTED] is good for me.  Its traffic is moderate (I 
ought to subscribe to p5p and I once did but its traffic is too heavy on 
me.  I may do so in future but for the time being perl-unicode is the 
place I use).

> [snip]
>    So
>      "CES" === "coded character set"
>      "CCS"  ne "coded character set"
>      "CES"  ne "CCS"

   When it comes to character handlings, we tend to be so frank about 
terminologies but I think that's okay for me so long as we can tell the 
difference.  I try to be careful not to say 'char' to mean 'byte' but 
even I, living in a multibyte world, fails sometimes....
   As for CCS and CES, here is my implicit glossary.

byte                    = octet.  8 bytes
character       = the smallest chunk of data that can be, ahem, supposed 
to be,
                        handled by text editors
CCS                     = character set, often abbreviated as 'charset'
CES                     = character encoding or simply encoding.

   But as you see, even MIME headers are confised here, as in 
"Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-2022-jp".  So we have to tweak 
perl's motto here; "There are more than one way to say it" :)

>
> And have some sleep :-)))
>
> My best regards, Anton

   I just need that, too.  It is seven fifteen in JST.  I am a nocturnal 
creature but it has been long since the sun is up....

Dan the Man with Too Many Words to Define

Reply via email to