For #1 and #2 below: The file has data. I have examined it in two different
Hex editors and printed it to the display.

For #3: my script has 'local $/'. Outlook though it was being helpful. :(

I guess a simple question is should this be working? If so, I will continue
to work with it.
------------------------------

1. Make sure $data has any contents (i.e. the read worked as expected).
Add these two lines. Does the length equal the file size? Do you see
multiple lines?

  print "len=", length( $data ), "\n";
  print "data='$data'\n";

2. Make sure your file has CRLF's. I'd use Cygwin's "od" command.
You should look for \r \n in the output of this command.

  od -c datafilename

If the file was generated on a Mac, your probably see \r as line
terminators.
If the file was generated under Unix, your should see \n as line
terminators.
Some old oddball machines actually used \n \r.

3. Doh! Just noticed that you wrote: "Local $/;" . Maybe it is a typo
or your email client auto capalitalized. It must be lowercase:

  local $/;

--
Mike Arms