Hi Chuck-

On 6/18/05, Charles Maier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a Perl app that catalogs photo files. IS there a quicker way of
> finding "the newest" file date in a directory other than doing a stat on
> each file in it??  How??
>
> TIA
> Chuck

 I know it sounds a little weird, but what I do is manipulate large
groups of individual files via ZIP archives-

In my case, I have hundreds of PDF files generated daily;  I zip each
directory into a single zip (via a scheduled task),  and glob the
directory list (which tends to be fast because there's just one zip
file in each directory).

After "targeting" the zip file, (which has thousands of
individual PDF files) I use  use Archive::Zip to extract the file and dump
the bytestream to the browser-  you might obviously choose a different
method, but I'm just throwing it out there as an idea.

Obviously, theres a Zip method for getting the file date/time
( lastModFileDateTime()).

HTH
KC