Suresh Govindachar wrote:

>   But what does "use a simple vrbl" mean?  You mean a verbal
>   description?

vrbl => variable

>   Thanks for @{[]} -- it is better than evaluating outside the
>   here doc.  This is because the expressions I need to evaluate
>   are fairly complex and the variables involved come from hashes.
>   Moreover, I would like to do assignments inside the here doc
>   that do not show up in $stuff at all, for example:
>
>     |my $foo = 3;
>     |my %boo=();
>     |my $stuff = <<EOD;
>     |  @{[eval{$boo{hoo1}=5; "remove_me";}]}
>     |  Twice $foo is @{[2 * $foo]}
>     |  Second line
>     |  @{[eval{$boo{hoo2}=2; "remove_me";}]}
>     |  Third line says that \$boo{hoo1} is $boo{hoo1}.
>     |EOD
>     |$stuff =~ s/\s*remove_me\s*$//gm;
>
>   What is the name for the @{[]} thingie -- how can it be found
>   in perldoc?  And is there a way to avoid the remove_me part?

perlfunc scalar
perlref near end of "Using References" just before "Symbolic references"

"remove_me" => '' would be the simple way.  You're getting the eval
result back and have to drop it.

PS: Don't CC me - just respond to list (I get 3 copies when you do).
I CC you because you're the poster and want to make sure you get a
response when AS is slow/down.