>You wrote:
        >> Anyone know what is the max length of a character string?
>
>How much RAM memory do you have?  That's the limitation you'll have in
Perl.
        >> I am taking an array of about +/-1000 values, passing it to
another script
        >> which converts it to an html table and passes it back to the main
script.

        >> I get two things: in the CMD window I get an error that "The
following
        >> character string is too long: " (but it doesn't tell me which)
and then I
        >> get a Dr. Watson window telling me that an application error has
occurred
        >> (for CMD.exe not perl).
>
>It sounds like you're trying to run something big through DOS, and DOS -
not Perl - is complaining mightily.  The unmentioned "character string" may
be the entire HTML table en masse.  My advice, since you haven't shown any
code, is >"don't do that".  I can't get much more specific.  But you
shouldn't be passing immense strings through MS-DOS.  Use the native
abilities of Perl instead.  If you're calling another script to do your
dirty work, don't pass the info as a big string.  >Save it in a file in some
way and hack the script to read in the file to get the data, then put the
massaged result into another file for your outer program to read.

I can only concur with that. I'm not sure CMD.EXE's maximum command line
length is precisely documented, but I faintly remember reading somewhere
that it might somewhere in the vicinity of 4,000+ chars or something of this
order.
For a true interactive command line, that's huge of course. But for other
uses, such as data exchange between processes, that's fairly small instead.
So this probably shouldn't be used this way. Temp files are definitely a
much better solution.