All:

I'm trying to upload a wav file data via VoiceXML.  Yes, enctype is multipart/form-data.

(1) A CGI temp file is being created in a temporary directory.  If I rename this file to *.wav after the fact, I can play it in Windows media player.  So the data is making it to the server OK.  In fact, I changed the script to open this file directly, read it into a buffer, and play it back via binmode and it works great, the user can hear it being played back in their handset.

(2) $query->upload($filename) is returning nothing, its null.    Referenced as a string, it is the pathname of the file on the client (remote) system.

Any ideas why this is happening?

use CGI;

$query = new CGI;
$filename  = $query->param('message');
$filehandle = $query->upload($filename);
$tempfilename = $query->tmpFileName($filename);