Hi everyone

My first post here in many years, and this time it's with a very strange
problem.

(I tried to post this on the perlex-mailinglist but that didn't respond, then
sending it directly to Jan but he's probably busy).

We are experiencing a problem when a PerlEx or PerlIS script is printing the
response to the client. The problem is that the script acts as if the print
statement is blocking and stays blocked for as much as 200 seconds. Mostly it's
around 50-80 seconds. It happens every once in a while and provided the
conditions are right it is practically every second time.

I know that it's the print statement that is blocked since a simple 'warn
time();' before and after reveals the time spent there.

We only experience this on our Win2k3 servers (running ActivePerl 820) and not
on our older Win2k servers or our development machines (Win2k pro and WinXP
pro).

Originally we thought the problem was with our own code (looping or fetching
data from the database), but finally I managed to make a test case which didn't
do anything but print. Essentially just HTML, but there are a couple of strange
things in that.

First of all, it only blocks if there is a certain combination of HTML tags and
text in the print statements. Very strange. Then it only blocks if there is a
small delay between two print statements (about 0.0085 seconds), at a point
where we originally were fetching some data from the database.

I can't send you the HTML since our client should not be disclosed, and if I
remove or change too much of the text, the script doesn't block! Which doesn't
make sense.

I am thinking - since this error only has occurred on our IIS6 servers - that
it could be something to do with the IIS5 to IIS6 changes (sending packages as
soon as possible etc). But I am also thinking it could be something to do with
the way the server may be trying to interpret the content of the file -
otherwise why would the behaviour change if I substituted a couple of HTML tags
with a string of the same length, but just text?

We have tested this with different clients (MSIE + FF) and the behaviour is the
same.

Best regards
Henning Michael Møller Just