Henning Michael Møller Just wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> My first post here in many years, and this time it's with a very strange
> problem.
>
> (I tried to post this on the perlex-mailinglist but that didn't respond, then
> sending it directly to Jan but he's probably busy).
>
> We are experiencing a problem when a PerlEx or PerlIS script is printing the
> response to the client. The problem is that the script acts as if the print
> statement is blocking and stays blocked for as much as 200 seconds. Mostly
> it's around 50-80 seconds. It happens every once in a while and provided the
> conditions are right it is practically every second time.
>
> I know that it's the print statement that is blocked since a simple 'warn
> time();' before and after reveals the time spent there.
>
> We only experience this on our Win2k3 servers (running ActivePerl 820) and
> not on our older Win2k servers or our development machines (Win2k pro and
> WinXP pro).
>
> Originally we thought the problem was with our own code (looping or fetching
> data from the database), but finally I managed to make a test case which
> didn't do anything but print. Essentially just HTML, but there are a couple
> of strange things in that.
>
> First of all, it only blocks if there is a certain combination of HTML tags
> and text in the print statements. Very strange. Then it only blocks if there
> is a small delay between two print statements (about 0.0085 seconds), at a
> point where we originally were fetching some data from the database.
>
> I can't send you the HTML since our client should not be disclosed, and if I
> remove or change too much of the text, the script doesn't block! Which
> doesn't make sense.

Why not just replace each word that would identify the client with some garbage,
test it to see if it fails and post it ?  Hopefully some readers will give it a
try
and maybe help isolate the problem.  I've never used IIS, PerlIS/Ex, so doubt I
could be much help unless there's something obvious.

> I am thinking - since this error only has occurred on our IIS6 servers - that
> it could be something to do with the IIS5 to IIS6 changes (sending packages
> as soon as possible etc). But I am also thinking it could be something to do
> with the way the server may be trying to interpret the content of the file -
> otherwise why would the behaviour change if I substituted a couple of HTML
> tags with a string of the same length, but just text?

Could be a buffer length/boundary issue or some such obscure thing.

> We have tested this with different clients (MSIE + FF) and the behaviour is
> the same.

Which leads you back to the server.  Have you tried Apache (if it's possible
with your setup) ?