I recently converted a Library of Congress (LC) call number
normalization routine (that I had written for a shelf list application)
into a couple of Perl LC call number sorting utilities.

sortLC.pl is a standalone application.  Usage is:
        sortLC.pl < call_number_file
                - or -
        cat call_number_file | sortLC.pl

sortLC.lib is a library to be included in a Perl app.  Usage is:
        require "sortLC.lib";
        @sorted_list = &sortLC(@unsorted_list);

The sortLC utilities can be downloaded from
http://rocky.uta.edu/doran/sortlc/

Any call number sorting routine is only as good as the underlying
normalization algorithm.  Mine is a work in progress, so results may
vary.   I welcome any feedback so that I can fix the bugs and make
improvements.

-- Michael

# Michael Doran, Systems Librarian
# University of Texas at Arlington