But there are quasi-standard APIs for accessing that information. In
particular, Javascript has access to such APIs.

And trying to do this without integrating with OS services has its own
complexities, like how you handle 'execute bit' on Windows which doesn't
have one. Which is why there are JS APIs mapping to the system versions
that handle e.g. Unix execute bit vs. Windows shell mappings.

--
brandon s allbery kf8nh
allber...@gmail.com