In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        Daniel Grunblatt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Tom Hughes wrote:
>
> > I suspect it is also rather questionable to call system calls
> > directly rather than going via their C library veneers - that is
> > even more true when you come to things (like socket calls) which
> > are system calls on some machines and functions on others.
>
> We are not always calling system calls directly, we can use the C library
> when ever we need it, check out the .jit syntax.

I did have a brief look last night but I must have missed that. No
problem that front then.

Incidentally the JIT times are definitely impressive... Times for
a 1.33 GHz Athlon are like this:

dutton [~/src/parrot] % ./test_parrot ./examples/assembly/mops.pbc
Iterations:    100000000
Estimated ops: 200000000
Elapsed time:  4.806858
M op/s:        41.607220

dutton [~/src/parrot] % ./test_parrot -j ./examples/assembly/mops.pbc
Iterations:    100000000
Estimated ops: 200000000
Elapsed time:  0.300258
M op/s:        666.093736

dutton [~/src/parrot] % ./examples/assembly/mops
Iterations:    100000000
Estimated ops: 200000000
Elapsed time:  0.324787
M op/s:        615.788117