On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Dan Sugalski wrote:

> There is an issue of time--what do we do, for example, in the case:
>
>     my $pi = Pi::Generate;
>     if ($pi =~ /[a-z]) {
>       print "There's a letter in here!\n";
>     }
>
> if Pi::Generate returns a generator object that will calculate pi for
> you to however far you want, that regex will run forever or until it
> runs out of memory, whichever comes first.
> --

        Just a thought...the following would be *really* cool:

     my $pi = Pi::Generate;

     # Check the first 200 characters only; halt w/success if NO match
     print "There's a letter in here!\n"  if ($pi =~ /[a-z]/h200t);

     # Check the first 200 characters only; halt w/failure if NO match
     print "There's a letter in here!\n"  if ($pi =~ /[a-z]/h200f);

        This would be useful for cases where you might be dealing with
infinite data, or when you are only going to need to use the first section
of a string.

Dave