[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Johnson) writes:
> > > More and more conversations like this, (and how many have we seen here
> > > already?) about characters sets, encodings, mail quoting issues, in
> > > fact, anything other than Perl, will be rife on every Perl-related
> > > mailing list if we persist with this idiotic idea of having Unicode
> > > operators.
>
> I live in Switzerland and regularly deal with three languages which have
> various diacritics and special characters.  Personally, I would be very
> happy with Unicode operators, but I fear that Simon's prediction would
> be accurate and I would much rather spend my time evangelising the
> virtues of Perl 6 as a language than trying to fathom or explain the
> incantations required to program on various platforms with a backdrop of
> unfamiliar, buggy or non-existent Unicode support.

On the other hand, maybe I'm being as shortsighted as Thomas J Watson
[1] and that once the various operating systems do get their Unicode
support together and we see the introduction of the 50,000 key keyboard,
then Perl 6's Unicode operators will be a real boon. After all, it worked
for APL and for the MIT space-cadet keyboards, so...

I dunno. I just think that right now, it's a crazy idea. And if we have
user-definable operators *anyway*, it's a doubly crazy idea.

Just make everything be user-definable multimethods. In fact, that's
another reason for not using . for the bit ops: I'd like to be able to
see
   $a .+ $b

as being equivalent to
   $a.+($b)

That is, calling the + method on $a. This way you also get to choose which
of the multimethods gets applied for free...

[1] "I think there's a world market for about five computers."
--
I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights.  I hit the gas,
people behind me stop, and I'm gone.  -- Steven Wright