Peter Gibbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Leopold Toetsch wrote:

>> JIT code is run in malloc'ed memory (s. jit.c:1026) as well as JITted
>> NCI stubs. We already have some system specific stuff for JIT (some
>> architectures need a page flush before execution).
>>
>> So best would be to use a set of spcialized function, e.g.:
>> - mem_alloc_executable
>> - mem_realloc_executable
>> - mem_flush_executable
>> - mem_free_executable

> Note that JIT already fails under Fedora Core 1 because of 'Exec-Shield'
> , which is the Linux equivalent of the functionality described by
> Jonathan.

Ah, that's the reason for your bug report WRT JIT/NCI. The question is,
how can we detect the presence of the exec-shield patch. Your `uname -a`
doesn't indicate it.

So we need:

1) a config test/option/whatever (e.g. mallocing some mem, fill in a
"ret" instruction and call that.
2) Some means to allocate executable memory.

Could you please have a look at fedora (kernel) docs?

> Regards
> Peter Gibbs
> EmKel Systems

leo