Vladimir Lipsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Ah, that's the reason for your bug report WRT JIT/NCI. The question is,
>> how can we detect the presence of the exec-shield patch. Your `uname -a`
>> doesn't indicate it.

> What for? We just always do allocating memory from a JIT dedicated heap with
> execute flas set on it, no matter the presence of the exec-shield patch,

I doubt, that my kernel has an appropriate allocation function (besides
mmap() with PROT_EXEC - which isn't resizable AFAIK).

> ... or
> OS is windows XP with service pack 2 installed, or the processor supports
> NX.

... or that an older Win32 has the necessary system call to get
executable memory.

>> 1) a config test/option/whatever (e.g. mallocing some mem, fill in a
>> "ret" instruction and call that.

> Calling it and BOOM! STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION with the following process
> termination.

A *config* test, yes may crash, why not. That's giving a result.

>> 2) Some means to allocate executable memory.

> Plus, methods to create and free the JIT heap.

I did propose a set of these already.

> 0x4C56

leo