Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >OTOH, who still runs pre-5.8.x code deserves what they get.
> >
> >There are horrible bugs in older Perls, and I don't know why people
> >still
> >insist using insecure, buggy and feature-lacking code like 5.6. or even
> >gasp 5.004. Just think "Unicode support", "hash randomization", "memory
> >leaks".

        FWIW I've heard at least one valid argument for sticking with 5.6,
and that actually is unicode support. :-)

        Apparently, in 5.6 regular expressions don't have full unicode
support. But in 5.8 the regexp unicode stuff is expensive. And to make
matters worse, if anything in any package that you import uses unicode, the
new, slower unicode regular expression algorithm is applied to *everything*
and there's no easy way to turn that off.

        This is just a nasty rumour I'm sure, but I've heard it multiple
times from multiple people. I like to stay on the cutting edge and if my
regexps are too slow, I'll find some other way to do it. :-)

        Cheers,
                Tyler