On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 11:27:07AM +0200, Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni wrote:

> I don't think that the problem of "core is too big" is a matter of disk
> size, but more a matter of number of modules. P5Porters time is a scarce
> ressource, and they already lack the time to do all the work they'd
> like to do just on the interpreter. Making core modules dual-life is
> a way to handle these to someone else who has spare time and who doesn't
> need to have deep XS or Perl guts knowledge. At least I think that's
> the reason, otherwise why was I accepted as the maintainer of two
> such modules (XSLoader and Sys::Syslog)?

Well, I think it's that reason too. :-)

Yes, to me, "size" is maintainance liability, not disk space or bandwidth.
Putting things in core is a pain. Keeping them there is a pain. I remember
the "fun" of getting Storable sufficiently portable that it could go into
the core. Trying to work around strange issues thrown up by certain AIX
compilers in certain configurations...

Nicholas Clark