Moin,

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 06:57, Adam Kennedy wrote:
> chromatic wrote:
> > On Tuesday 04 April 2006 10:32, Tels wrote:
> >>There is also the point that supporting ancient Perls means you
> >>can't use all the new, wonderfull features that were added to later
> >>versions of Perl, like our, warnings etc.
> >
> > This to me is the biggest problem.  After 6 years, is it finally okay
> > for me to use such exotic features as lexical warnings and lexical
> > filehandles, just to satisfy someone who refuses to upgrade an eight
> > year old installation of Perl?
[snip]
> > I'm trying to figure out why I've been sending patches to p5p for
> > about five years now if people complain when I take advantage of the
> > bugs they fix.  At some point, it would be nice if people were to use
> > software released this millennium.
>
> Ever written software for government?

Yes. And I don't know which parts of the mystical government you speak
off, but people everywhere are pretty pissed of when they have to work
with 10 year old software.

Hell, there are problems getting hardware that still runs that old stuff.

> It's routine to be required to offer a 10 year support period.

Yes, but that does not mean that you need to upgrade the installation with
"the-latest-foo-bar-from-cpan-which-just-breaks-on-5.004". You just keep
the system as it is and patch when breakage really occurs. :)

> This comes up more often that you might think.
>
> And so as my gold standard for back-compatability, I use 10 years. A
> decade is a nice round number.

Ugh - but at least we don't have 16 fingers :)

> If it's something that isn't very core'y, I use a secondary support
> period of 5 years.
>
> Seeing as the worst support cases are about 10 years in a variety of
> countries and situations, I think that is what we should be aiming for
> for highly used CPAN modules.
>
> Which last time I checked is now 5.005.something
>
> So I aim there.

I wont :)

best wishes,

Tels

--
 Signed on Wed Apr  5 18:21:33 2006 with key 0x93B84C15.

 "My glasses, my glasses. I cannot see without my glasses." - "My
 glasses, my glasses. I cannot be seen without my glasses."