On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 18:30:33 +0200, Tels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Moin,
>
> On Wednesday 05 April 2006 06:57, Adam Kennedy wrote:
> > chromatic wrote:
> > >
> > > This to me is the biggest problem.  After 6 years, is it finally okay
> > > for me to use such exotic features as lexical warnings and lexical
> > > filehandles, just to satisfy someone who refuses to upgrade an eight
> > > year old installation of Perl?
> [snip]
> > > I'm trying to figure out why I've been sending patches to p5p for
> > > about five years now if people complain when I take advantage of the
> > > bugs they fix.  At some point, it would be nice if people were to use
> > > software released this millennium.
> >
> > Ever written software for government?
>
> Yes. And I don't know which parts of the mystical government you speak
> off, but people everywhere are pretty pissed of when they have to work
> with 10 year old software.

We *only* have local government as customers, and they get *my* perl,
installed in *our* tree. Of course my perl includes defined-or :)

> Hell, there are problems getting hardware that still runs that old stuff.

:)
One customer ran production on a system so old that they didn't dare to
reboot it, because they were affraid it was not going to boot again. OK, that
was 6 years ago, but still, government is a strange customer.

> > It's routine to be required to offer a 10 year support period.
>
> Yes, but that does not mean that you need to upgrade the installation with
> "the-latest-foo-bar-from-cpan-which-just-breaks-on-5.004". You just keep
> the system as it is and patch when breakage really occurs. :)

I don't care if their default perl breaks down. That would be their fault. As
long as they don't break mine. Perl has the advantage of not being tied to
"this product *must* be installed in /usr (and yes, we *do* have a third
party that still sets that requirement for their product), symlinks to the
rescue.

> > This comes up more often that you might think.
> >
> > And so as my gold standard for back-compatability, I use 10 years. A
> > decade is a nice round number.
>
> Ugh - but at least we don't have 16 fingers :)

5.8.3 is the minimum to accept for me, and it should have defined-or

> > If it's something that isn't very core'y, I use a secondary support
> > period of 5 years.
> >
> > Seeing as the worst support cases are about 10 years in a variety of
> > countries and situations, I think that is what we should be aiming for
> > for highly used CPAN modules.
> >
> > Which last time I checked is now 5.005.something
> >
> > So I aim there.
>
> I wont :)

me neither

--
H.Merijn Brand        Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using & porting perl 5.6.2, 5.8.x, 5.9.x  on HP-UX 10.20, 11.00, 11.11,