On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 01:25:51 +0200, "A. Pagaltzis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> * chromatic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2006-07-14 00:55]:
> > Sure, but it's only one thing people need to remember.  One
> > thing is easier than N things, especially as N changes every
> > time the core changes.
>
> Yes, I agree. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying Bundle::PerlPlus
> is a bad idea (though in adding a grain to the sandpile it *can*
> have a detrimental effect).
>
> I’m just saying that I don’t see how it will achieve the purpose
> for which you proposed it. Sure would be handy, but will hardly
> single-handedly rejuvenate Perl.

I've been talking with someone who has to learn perl over and over again,
because this poor person forgets the details because perl is not used on
a daily basis.

If I got it right, the wish that was expressed is more like the wish for
an installer with a GUI. Let's assume YaST2 or so. The interface should
be able to show package groups (Graphic, Development, Databases, Network,
Math, ...) and squares to tick: I want this module installed. The install
program should then automatically tick all the modules it needs to make
the install happen.

At this point the user should not want to know if it is *possible* that
this module *can* be installed at all (at least that is what that user
told me). e.g. DBD-Pg needs DBI, but there is no Postgres installed.

I for one would shed no tear if CGI would be removed from the CORE, and
I will bet that most of you would cheer if all formatting related stuff
would be removed from the CORE, which I use heavily on a daily basis.

We have to realize that one person's PerlPlus necessities are not the
same as someone else's. We - as seasoned perl users/programmers - quite
often assume too much, and think too technical in ways of things to be
possible or not. That is not how our target audience perceives it.

I hope I have expressed the conclusion of that chat correctly. But it
*does* make sense to me.

--
H.Merijn Brand        Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using & porting perl 5.6.2, 5.8.x, 5.9.x  on HP-UX 10.20, 11.00, 11.11,