Are there any releases signed by the developers? The official releases
located at https://rakudo.perl6.org/downloads/star/ do not seem to
have signatures available.

As a stopgap measure I attempted to clone
https://github.com/rakudo/star and run Configure.pl. I felt it strange
that it warned me against using the code in the repository as cloned
from the repository (why does the repository exist?) but continued
with --force, only to find out that some of the folders in the
directory structure need to be initialized. A mailing list posting was
found detailing how to continue
(http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl6.compiler/2013/05/msg8915.html)
and the steps were followed. Unfortunately, the nqp package download
failed with error 404, which made me see the following command was
part of the preparation script:

>wget --no-check-certificate
>https://rakudo.perl6.org/downloads/nqp/nqp-2017.07-9-gc0abee7.tar.gz -O
>src/nqp-2017.07-9-gc0abee7.tar.gz

I have no words. Can anyone justify this choice?

Are there any signed releases, or do I have to do the equivalent of curl|sudo?

What is being done should actually be done with Git submodules, or the
more recent feature, subtrees. There is no reason for the releases to
be prepared in this way. What has been created is a very inflexible
package management system. If what you want is a package management
system, then I would suggest adapting Gentoo's portage to the
project's needs, as KDE seems to have done with their Craft build
system. However what the project needs is version control that will
handle dependencies.

Git's submodules fit perfectly because they pin a directory to a
branch which is exactly what is being done here, but it is integrated
with Git and can use existing authentication and verification
mechanisms (HTTPS, SSH, GPG). There are various articles which try to
paint submodules as unsuitable for most uses but I hope it is easy to
see that what they do is exactly what is desired in this instance.

If submodules do not seem suitable, there are subtrees, but these blur
the lines between projects. That might be okay, but they are slightly
more complicated to use.

R0b0t1.