The details of how to use the star GitHub repository are in
tools/star/release_guide.pod .

You're entirely welcome to create a bundling that has a better build system
than what Rakudo Star uses -- indeed, Rakudo Star has always been intended to
be just one of many possible bundlings of Rakudo and useful modules.  Even if
you just create a repo to demonstrate a better way of organizing modules,
that'd be helpful.

The earliest versions of the Rakudo Star build system started out by trying to
use Git submodules to manage packages, but it quickly proved to be unwieldy and
almost impossible to understand and maintain.  Perhaps the submodule ecosystem
has changed since then, though.

Pm